About Funza Lushaka
The Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme is a programme to support teaching studies and available to qualified students to complete a teaching degree. Bursary recipients are then required to teach at public schools equivalent to the duration of bursary received.
Funza Lushaka Bursaries
Application for the Funza Lushaka teaching bursary must be done online each year.
Bursary recipients are required to teach at a public school they are assigned to and they cannot choose the school they are assigned since the assignment is according to priority.
The bursary amount given will cover most of the recipient’s necessary expenses that may include tuition, accommodation including meals, books and learning materials, and if possible a small allowance for monthly living expenses.
Important guidelines for the Online Application of Funza Lushaka Bursary 2018:
- Applicants who have criminal record, have been charged of misconduct or are dismissed from work are not qualified
- Higher Education Institution employees and their immediate families are not accepted
- Online application is a MUST. No hard copies are accepted by the programme.
- Printing of the completed on-line application is a MUST.
- Anyone who already has other teaching qualifications do not qualify
Two types of qualifications can be funded are:
Undergraduate studies or a 4-year Bachelor of Education degree (B Ed), specializing in Foundation Phase (Grade R – 3), Intermediate Phase (Grade 4 – 6), Senior Phase (Grade 7 – 9) and FET Phase (Grade 10-12); and
Graduate studies or One-year Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE). Combined qualifications are also acceptable such as combine specialization in the Foundation Phase (Grade R – 3) and Intermediate Phase (Grade 4 – 6), or the Intermediate Phase and Senior Phase, or the Senior Phase (Grade 7 – 9) and FET Phase (Grade 10 –12).
For more information about the bursary, review: Funza Bursary Application Notes 2018
Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- South African citizen
- Good academic performance
- Currently in Grade 12
- Graduates who want to complete a teaching degree or want to become teachers (Postgraduate Certificate in Education)
How to Apply and Application Details
- Online application is a must. Go to http://www.funzalushaka.doe.gov.za/application/application.jsp and select “First Time Application” or “Re-Application”, whichever applies.
- Print the completed online application and submit to the university where you are accepted and registered.
- Accompany the application form with certified copies of your ID and your academic results.
- Applications for the Funza Lushaka bursary 2019 will open on 01 October 2018.
- Please note that there are a limited number of new bursaries available for 2019.
Re-applications – 16 November 2018
New applications – 11 January 2019
Phone: 012 357 3000